It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth Edition
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Here are two pictures of my next project:
Can you guess what I'm going to do with these goodies?
That's right, I will be building a retro gaming computer using my favorite mini-itx board the D201GLY2, and my trusty companion that has been in the family for longer than most of my brothers and sisters. The goal with this build is going to be complete sleeper looks. What I mean by that is that the NES will be absolutely indistinguishable from a stock NES, completely stealth. I have seen a lot of NES's built into computers on the web, but none have a completely stock look. In fact the majority look like frankenstein hack jobs. Hopefully mine will only look like that if you open the case. I have some original ideas that will make this build very unique and hopefully pretty gosh dang awesome.

The Goal:
Stealth Install
install all games for all systems(that can be emulated)
Use Existing ports
No visible holes
conenct existing NES ports to USB
allow for 4 controllers (in addition to NES controllers, for N64 Games [smash bros])

The Specs:
Intel D201GLY2A+(video out)
Celeron 220 (1.2Ghz)
Samsung 160GB 2.5" HDD
1GB RAM DDR2

I will post the before pictures of the NES tomorrow with more to come.

Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth Edition
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 am 
Site Admin

OK, here are the pictures of the NES unmodified:

My first task is to disassemble the NES and figure out where I am going to mount the mini-itx board, and find out how I can get all my video audio and power in to the motherboard without destroying the original look, my idea is to use the rear RF connector as a video out via composite, use the existing power connector, and use the video audio side by side rca jacks for audio.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Admin

So I started dismantling the NES. First you undo the 6 screws on the bottom and then the lid lifts of very easy, and you are left with this:

Now I took off a few metal back plates, and had this:

Here is the cleared out case:

With the mainboard pulled out you can see the original power and video and audio brackets, I want to use these to give my NES retro gaming computer an authentic look. Here is a picture of the bracket:

After a few minutes with the dremel, I have the bracket cut off the main board, and am ready to wire up the audio, video and power to it!:

Here is the case with the original modded bracket in place:

To mount the hard drive, I dremeled down a post, and then use a wooden peg that fit right into the screw hole of the hard drive to keep it from moving around, then I used some mounting tape to secure the other side, it is in place very tight and will not be coming loose.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Here are a few more pictures.

Here is wiring up the speakers to the rear bracket:

This is how I wired up the front POWER and RESET buttons, the green is power, the blue is reset and the red is the LED. However the old LED must require more power than the motherboard puts out for the LED. Because it wouldn't light up, I had to use a different RED LED off an old case.

Here is another view of the front power switchboard.

This is how I mounted the hard drive, I dremelled down one of the posts, then placed a wooden peg that fit right into the Hard drive hole, that held it in place pretty good, and I used some mounting tape to hold the rest of the hard drive down:

Starting to look pretty good!:

Here are the retrousb adapters that I will rip apart in order to make the front ports work with the computer.

Here is one of them cracked open, I NEED THAT CIRCUIT BOARD!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Since I had to rebuild the forums due to spammers I am including a bulk message of the old thread:

Rev_Silent_Jon
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 19 Aug 2008 02:12 am

hi,
is there any way you can perhaps give me a more of a detailed step by step guide. I've always wanted to do something like this and I would like this mod to be my first project.
any help would be appreciated.
thank you and awesome mod.

DavGerm4
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 20 Aug 2008 07:47 am

I've got to say, that is a job well done! The first NES PC I ever did, had the back plate and everything and didn't look as professional as I would have hoped! But I'm going to be building another one, following your example! It will all be internal, and use the outside ports. Still waiting on my parts to get here, but I need to get a Broken NES Console! So until then...

DavGerm4
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 20 Aug 2008 07:50 am

Sorry for the double post, but just one question? What are you using to power up the machine? I mean I know you're using a picoPSU, but what's powering that? You can use the original Power Adapter from the NES? Can you?

GruntUltra
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 20 Aug 2008 11:20 am

Nice work so far - I'm also working on modding an old NES (using the Atom board). It appears that you are using the ports on the side (originally mono audio and video out) as a stereo L&R outputs, then the rear port is for video - all as RCA outputs. How are you modding the onboard video output to the RCA jack?

Grunt

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 20 Aug 2008 02:00 pm
Site Admin

DavGerm4 wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but just one question? What are you using to power up the machine? I mean I know you're using a picoPSU, but what's powering that? You can use the original Power Adapter from the NES? Can you?

Hi DavGerm4, welcome to the forums.
The pico PSU I bought came in a combo with basically a laptop brick power adapter. I switched the end from the laptop with the one from the original nintendo.

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 20 Aug 2008 02:02 pm
Site Admin

GruntUltra wrote:
Nice work so far - I'm also working on modding an old NES (using the Atom board). It appears that you are using the ports on the side (originally mono audio and video out) as a stereo L&R outputs, then the rear port is for video - all as RCA outputs. How are you modding the onboard video output to the RCA jack?

Grunt

Grunt, Welcom
The motherboard I bought has s-video out, I am then using an s-video to composite adapter to get the signal out, then the rear bracket itself acts as the ground, so I only run one wire out of the motherboard for the video, and one wire out for left and right channels.

GruntUltra
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 20 Aug 2008 09:53 pm

Ahhh- S-Video to component... Genius!
Well, I won't have such luck with my board since it has VGA-output only. I love the idea of keeping the exterior completely intact, but the only way I could do this would be to have a VGA male-to-female extension within the box, then maybe try to hide the output under the black 'stripe' on the rear of the console. But...
I also want to have built-in wireless (via a 802.11g PCI card) and USB ports for whatever controllers I choose. It looks like my build will need the rear I/O panel in order to have access everything.
I, too decided not to waste time or space loading an optical drive in the console. What I wanted to do was put one of the new VFD 5ΒΌ displays in the cartridge bay, but then I'd have to find plug-ins for everything I wanted it to do, and I'm not that talented yet! But still - it would be downright cool!
I'm hoping that in addition to running the NES, SNES, N64, and MAME libraries, that I will be able to run a few games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Civilization 3, AD1602 & AD1503, Age of Empires II, and a handful of other older & less demanding games. I should be able to bury a BlueTooth receiver inside the box and use a KB/Mouse within a short distance (I haven't measure the range yet).
Thanks for the info and the video on HardOCP - it's inspiring!
Grunt

DavGerm4
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 20 Aug 2008 10:10 pm

Well see, I know you can get a VGA to S-Video Adapter, and I'm thinking about using that to internalize it all! See, the first PC that I put in an NES had a CD Drive. It was a Slimline Drive, used for laptops, and I just got an adapter so that I could plug that into the Motherboard.

The Motherboard I got for this one, is an Intel Atom 230, and the CPU Speed was 1.6GHz. So hopefully that will be good enough for it! Oh, and I'm going to get rid of the RED LED and get a Blue LED installed instead!

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 21 Aug 2008 04:40 pm
Site Admin

So it is for sale!
I had a lot of people contact me asking how to buy this. So I posted it on ebay:

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Retro-NES-Gaming-PC ... 0280144905

DavGerm4
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 21 Aug 2008 06:19 pm

Ya when I built my first PC in an NES I only sold it for $200, but it wasn't the best job I had hoped, and the parts basically cost that much, so I didn't really make a profit off of it! But it was fun making it!

I think you can make so much more off of it. One, it uses all the original ports, so you can't tell if it's the real thing or not. And two, you can use the original controllers with it, which I think is the coolest thing about the mod!

Do you think you can give a little more detail on how you did the controller ports?

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 21 Aug 2008 11:53 pm
Site Admin

Yeah, I did the controller ports by ripping apart some retrousb adapters. Check out www.retrousb.com
I opened them up with my dremel, and rewired the USB to the internal header, and soldered in the connections of the original nintendo.

DavGerm4
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 23 Aug 2008 07:25 am

I actually tried bidding on it, but it looks like someone has their eye on it! I tried like 4 times in a row, and I was instantly outbid!

jurnie
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 23 Aug 2008 08:34 am

Beautiful project!Best I've seen!

Could this type of motherboard emulate mameplus? I guess other emulators won't be any problem?(like zsnes,nestopia, fusion>Sega)?

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 23 Aug 2008 05:26 pm
Site Admin

jurnie wrote:
Beautiful project!Best I've seen!

Could this type of motherboard emulate mameplus? I guess other emulators won't be any problem?(like zsnes,nestopia, fusion>Sega)?

Yeah I have used ZSNES on this , and any other emulator would run just fine.

DavGerm4
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 28 Aug 2008 04:43 am

Okay, so I've finally gotten the main parts of the computer to build it! I got an old NES at a game store in town for $15, so that wasn't that bad. I did realize though, that I didn't have a power adapter for the PicoPSU, so I just ordered that today. I also got 2 Retrousb's from Retrozone.com, so those will also be here in a few days.

At least I can get things figured out with the Case, and format the HDD.

Question. I know that your motherboard at S-Video out, so that you could plug it into a TV, but I was wondering if I used a VGA to S-Video, if it would have the same effect?

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 29 Aug 2008 01:03 am

Hiya, I'm the lucky one who purchased this bad boy! Yeah I wish I could build my own, but lack of dremel and soldering tools and basic electronics 101 preventing me from possibly zapping $200+ of equipment. Just wanted to say thanks for your ingenuity and hard work!

Just got the package today. Gotta love USPS. Box was tossed over my patio fence onto concrete floor with the words "This side down" on it. Go figure

Before firing it up, I opened it up to ensure nothing came loose or broke. For the most part, it is good, but I did notice that the cable leading from the SVideo -> RF jack came loose on the RF side, so I'll need to re-solder that (just going to buy a soldering iron tomorrow, as other projects have come my way that I figured might as well). I tried booting the system via VGA, but no go, but that was with the SVideo cable still installed, and I know how some systems will override VGA when another video source is connected (not sure if this is one of them).

Don't have much time to mess with it now, but I'm going to try to reset BIOS, carefully reseat connections. As far as I can tell, the system is not booting as I do not hear hard drive activity (unless there is no Windows on this, which I can fully understand).

Well, here's hoping... I'll report back results. Can't wait to get it going! Overall though, it really is cool and will fool a lot of people!

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 30 Aug 2008 12:39 am

Well, however the USPS treated this box, it wasn't good. I can't get the board to POST at all I disconnected and reseated all cables, the battery, tried using direct SVideo and VGA out, no change. I found the power LED was in backwards, so now that is blinking. Checked on Intel's site for the product manual, but its standard fare from other other boards. I don't have any DDRII memory to test. The only thing I have noticed is the tall capacitor next to the heatsink/fan and its power cable seems to be loose to the touch. Other capacitors seem to be OK. I did repair the loose connection between the RF jack and the SVideo adapter cable.

I'll probably have to call Intel to get the motherboard replaced. Damn post office, ruined my fun weekend. Can you give me a date of purchase in case Intel asks for it when I call? Would be much appreciated.

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 30 Aug 2008 11:51 pm

Me again :p

I went to Fry's to see if they had the board, but they only had the version without Svideo. I was looking at it and noticed that there were 2 capacitors next to the heat sink, where mine only has one. I found a good close up that particular board, the D201GLY2A:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

Just to compare, I found another one of the one installed, the D201GLY2TA:
http://www.2cpu.co.kr/ybbs/uploads/@ybb ... _93449.jpg

When I look close at mine, I noticed that there are two stubs where the connections to the capacitors are made, where the part next to it is soldered over. Makes me suspect something broke off, but I could not find any pieces floating around in the NES or the box.

Now,, remembering I don't know much about electronics, just wanted to know if this was removed by you for the mod, or if it was there. Tried to look at your screenshots and as far as I can tell, I only see one capacitor, but the cable is covering where the other one would be.

Thanks for your assistance next time you come around.

Edit: one last thing I tried. Connected the system via direct SVideo cable to a regular CRT (was trying to connect to my LCD TV, which is where it will be connected. When I powered the unit on, the TV was a black screen with random flashes a a white stripe on the screen. I also noticed that the flashing corresponded with the power light flashing on the NES (almost like the old school flash of the NES ironically).

Going to call Intel on Tuesday (I''ll try Monday, but pretty sure they will be closed) to see if I can get a replacement under warranty.

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 02 Sep 2008 01:51 am
Site Admin

HI JelloMan, I didn't see your messages until today. That's disappointing that the package didnt arrive there safely. To answer your questions, no I did not remove any of the capacitors on the board at all for purposes of the mod. I can get you the receipts and details of anything you need. The board was purchased at www.mini-box.com on aug 8, I can forward you any receipts you need. If you have any spare power supplies laying around, you could try those with the board in case it is the PSU or connector that got knocked loose.

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 02 Sep 2008 02:57 am

Yeah actually I've thought about swapping power supplies as well, but the way I have everything tied down in my case, its not feasible. Going to take it in with me to work tomorrow and see if I can try there (do computer repair for a school district). Maybe can swap it out at mini-box? I'll check their policies and post back.

Thanks for responding back, I figured you were out enjoying the holiday weekend.

COMMODORE64
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 02 Sep 2008 04:42 am

cbutters, I would like to congulate you on your first Nes Mod.

However, there's few thing that I'm not very fond of.

- USB to Nes controller board ( you need to explain in greater detail on how to break it open and to install it inside the case, enabling the original NES controllers to work without the extension or any tomfoolery that can be seen outside of NES case. )

- A/V plug - This should be able to be built on a board, wired, which it could be hooked to graphic card and audio card if you can WITHOUT the case modification or any matters. If you can, please, please do explain on how to do this.

- WiFi Wireless card should be able to be installed internally, using the PCI riser. Or you can just use the USB WiFi card. Or any M-ITX with integrated PCMIA controller.

- Cooling - You should be able to add the 40, 60MM fan on bottom of the case, which it could be grilled, and hidden out of slight. Top of the case have some air opening to flow in and out, so i'm sure the incoming cooling air from bottom will be blown outside of the top, or any place where exhaust would be.

I really like the idea of micro-ITX, which it works really good for anything, even if you are running on VIA C7.

**After a while of researching over the google, and i found it could be MUCH EASIER if you just mount the burner and hard drive on the top-inside of case, leaving some cooling space for entire of ITX, and more of wire works.

**Also, I found that you could throw in Firewire and 2 extra USB port in front of black plastic, once you installed the swinging door for it.

Both of the tips indicated as ** is found on this link. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 952,00.asp
To take closer look at pictures of the mod, click here. http://www.extremetech.com/slideshow/0, ... 030,00.asp

I certainly hope this suggestion helps a lot, and looking foward for your second edition of NESPC.

Lucan

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 03 Sep 2008 12:01 am

I do like the flip up front for the USB and firewire ports, but I also appreciate the work to keep things original as with cbutters' mod. I see so many NES PCs with the back panel, while practical, just looks gaudy. Yes I know, who's looking at the back, but it just leads to cable clutter, and we all know we don't need any more of that in our entertainment centers.

Missed my window to call Intel today (7am-5pm), so I'll have to try again. I noticed mini-box.com is out of stock of the board, so even arranging an RMA for an exchange may be out of the question.

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 03 Sep 2008 02:01 pm
Site Admin

COMMODORE64 wrote:

- USB to Nes controller board ( you need to explain in greater detail on how to break it open and to install it inside the case, enabling the original NES controllers to work without the extension or any tomfoolery that can be seen outside of NES case. )

- A/V plug - This should be able to be built on a board, wired, which it could be hooked to graphic card and audio card if you can WITHOUT the case modification or any matters. If you can, please, please do explain on how to do this.

- WiFi Wireless card should be able to be installed internally, using the PCI riser. Or you can just use the USB WiFi card. Or any M-ITX with integrated PCMIA controller.

- Cooling - You should be able to add the 40, 60MM fan on bottom of the case, which it could be grilled, and hidden out of slight. Top of the case have some air opening to flow in and out, so i'm sure the incoming cooling air from bottom will be blown outside of the top, or any place where exhaust would be.

I really like the idea of micro-ITX, which it works really good for anything, even if you are running on VIA C7.

**After a while of researching over the google, and i found it could be MUCH EASIER if you just mount the burner and hard drive on the top-inside of case, leaving some cooling space for entire of ITX, and more of wire works.

**Also, I found that you could throw in Firewire and 2 extra USB port in front of black plastic, once you installed the swinging door for it.

Both of the tips indicated as ** is found on this link. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 952,00.asp
To take closer look at pictures of the mod, click here. http://www.extremetech.com/slideshow/0, ... 030,00.asp

I certainly hope this suggestion helps a lot, and looking foward for your second edition of NESPC.

Lucan

Im not sure what to make of your post.
You say you arent very fond of a few things about the mod, and then describe how it should be, and basically describe my NES mod how it already is,

Usb to NES controller board, you said that it should work without being able to see anything outside the case. That is how mine is,

A/V Plug, You say it should be connected to the video card without the case modification? I didn't mod the case, I wired up an s-video out and audio out to the original controller board.

Wifi card, you say it should be installed internall through USB, that is what I did.

cooling, you say to add a fan, which doesnt make sense because it doesnt get hot enough to warrant adding a fan, especially if you are concerned about modifying and having tom-foolery on the board.

You say to add USB ports to the front, but why would I do that when I already have a USB hub underneath? And what would I use firewire for? do you want to do video editing on your nintendo?

I do use a mini-itx board, but it is NOT a VIA C7, it is a INTEL Celeron 220, which is actually a conroe-L (core 2 technology) and is very fast.

I appreciate the post, but I'm not sure what to make of it and I'm not sure you actually read how my NESPC works or saw my video.

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 04 Sep 2008 12:50 am

Maybe he's trying to make an HTPC Lite in an NES case, in which case that mod may do it. I liked your way because it keeps it original and is going to surprise people when they see it. I would like to internalize a bluetooth adapter for keyboard/mouse, and if I could find a bluetooth controller for other games, but is not a huge priority. I think the USB hub is a nice gimmick as well and will be handy for multiplayer games like Super Smash Brothers.

On that note, I contacted Intel today and it seems they will do the swap for me, but they said they needed an AA number from the board. I thought it was E26314-401, but they couldn't find it (or they typed it in wrong). Anyways, I was wondering if you still had the box and could either scan or take a picture of the label that would have the UPC, serial, etc. Would be much appreciated! PM or email (came as the ebay/paypal purchase) would be fine.

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 04 Sep 2008 04:38 pm

Well I called Intel back with the AA number from the board (E26314-401) and they are telling me this is an OEM board from a Dell system, so they will not exchange it. I hope micro-box didn't sell you a system pull, and I am remaining open-minded about this.

If I need to mail the board back to you to have you process any exchanges let me know.

DavGerm4
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 06 Sep 2008 01:45 am

cbutters got a question for ya!

So I've got it all working with the Controller Ports and everything, but I wanted to know how you got GameEx working so well? Like when I go into selecting a Game for the NES to play, it will go to load, and it will say "Unknown Error, Press OK to Continue". So it doesn't automatically go into the Game. After I click OK, it then says the file cannot be found. So I have to manually go to File->Open Rom. This is all with the Emulator NEStopia. I've tried it with VirtuNES, but it's just horrible. Is this because I don't have the registered version you think?

Also, How did you set it up so you can press Start+Select to get back to the GameEx Menu?

Thanks!

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 06 Sep 2008 02:16 am
Site Admin

mrjelloman wrote:
Well I called Intel back with the AA number from the board (E26314-401) and they are telling me this is an OEM board from a Dell system, so they will not exchange it. I hope micro-box didn't sell you a system pull, and I am remaining open-minded about this.

If I need to mail the board back to you to have you process any exchanges let me know.

Well mine didn't come in an intel box, it came just in a normal box with accessories so that is probably true. What did you find out is exactly wrong with the board? is it just the s-video out or is it the entire board that wont boot? Once I have that info, I can send mini-box an email and see if they will exchange it. Depending on the info you give me and what I hear back from mini-box; then I can just have you send it in to them from your address and when I get the new board ship it out to you.

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 06 Sep 2008 02:19 am
Site Admin

DavGerm4 wrote:
cbutters got a question for ya!

So I've got it all working with the Controller Ports and everything, but I wanted to know how you got GameEx working so well? Like when I go into selecting a Game for the NES to play, it will go to load, and it will say "Unknown Error, Press OK to Continue". So it doesn't automatically go into the Game. After I click OK, it then says the file cannot be found. So I have to manually go to File->Open Rom. This is all with the Emulator NEStopia. I've tried it with VirtuNES, but it's just horrible. Is this because I don't have the registered version you think?

Also, How did you set it up so you can press Start+Select to get back to the GameEx Menu?

Thanks!

For selecting NES, it sounds like your advanced configuration is calling the Roms incorrectly, you want to check your advanced configuration for NES, I can't tell you my values since I don't have my NES computer anymore; but I used NEStopia and it seemed to work fine.

The Start Select buttons to return to menu is also in the advanced configuration setting, it basically involves editing a particular config file that you set values for the buttons. It basically has up left right down select start B A and you can set 'TRUE' for the buttons you want to close the program, I set my start and select to true only and that calls the exit command.

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 06 Sep 2008 03:58 am

Things I have found wrong:

- No POST or video
- A tall capacitor is missing next to the CPU heatsink/fan, if you look at the pictures I linked earlier, it will be the one closest to the edge of the board, furthest from the fan connector. No loose capacitor was found in the box.
- When the system is connected to a CRT via SVideo (direct connection from motherboard or through the video port on the NES), the screen is black, but there is a white flickering band.

I have tried a different power supply with no luck and same results. Just let me know what you need me to do. I hope they do have a replacement, otherwise I have found one place in stock for $63.18 + tax + SH.

COMMODORE64
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 16 Sep 2008 04:40 pm

cbutters wrote:
COMMODORE64 wrote:

Lucan

Im not sure what to make of your post.
You say you arent very fond of a few things about the mod, and then describe how it should be, and basically describe my NES mod how it already is,

Usb to NES controller board, you said that it should work without being able to see anything outside the case. That is how mine is,

A/V Plug, You say it should be connected to the video card without the case modification? I didn't mod the case, I wired up an s-video out and audio out to the original controller board.

Wifi card, you say it should be installed internall through USB, that is what I did.

cooling, you say to add a fan, which doesnt make sense because it doesnt get hot enough to warrant adding a fan, especially if you are concerned about modifying and having tom-foolery on the board.

You say to add USB ports to the front, but why would I do that when I already have a USB hub underneath? And what would I use firewire for? do you want to do video editing on your nintendo?

I do use a mini-itx board, but it is NOT a VIA C7, it is a INTEL Celeron 220, which is actually a conroe-L (core 2 technology) and is very fast.

I appreciate the post, but I'm not sure what to make of it and I'm not sure you actually read how my NESPC works or saw my video.

I apologize for such purplexing post.

I have some handful suggestion for you.

On some boards, it should have the video-out plugs on the board that you actually convert it to video out plug, which it replaces the white video-out. Such as SPDIF or S-Video = http://www.frontx.com/cpx107_2.html or http://www.frontx.com/cpx106_2.html

Same with front panel audio connection = http://www.frontx.com/cpx111_2.html

I got some funny questions...

-How comes you don't want to cut out the hole for I\O shield, so you can plug in and uses it as computer, and uses emulator at the same time?

- You didn't show us what kind of power brick and the PSU box you uses?

- You didn't tell us what optical drive you uses?

- You didn't even bother to build a new circuit box out of the breadboard to install the new video, and audio?

- You didn't even bother to build some 1MM plastic plates to holds your components in places?

Hope I helped.

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 18 Sep 2008 03:26 am

Quote:
-How comes you don't want to cut out the hole for I\O shield, so you can plug in and uses it as computer, and uses emulator at the same time?

To each their own apparently. As he stated, it was for the intention of making it look like an original NES all around. If you want a PC with external ports to play emulators, go buy a Shuttle. Modding is about aesthetics, and personal preference, and personally, that's why I like it, and so does everyone else I have shown it to so far (even though I still haven't replaced the board ).

Quote:
- You didn't show us what kind of power brick and the PSU box you uses?

He uses the PicoPSU 90w, I'm assuming this is the kit he purchased that includes the power brick:
http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-90-powe ... ategory=13
He cut off the plug on the power brick and soldered on the actual NES plug, so that the original power port on the NES is used, then it is wired from the power port into the PicoPSU.

Quote:
- You didn't tell us what optical drive you uses?

He doesn't use one, that's why it's not mentioned. You can transfer files via networking (wireless), or for the initial transfer, a USB hard drive since he does provide a USB hub.

Quote:
- You didn't even bother to build a new circuit box out of the breadboard to install the new video, and audio?

He didn't install new video and audio, he modified the existing board to connect to the rear ports on the logic board. The audio wiring is really thin, so I might change that up; the audio and video cabling you linked may do the trick, though I would use the existing NES ports still in the spirit of the mod. A circuit box is not needed since it is not exposed to the outside.

Quote:
- You didn't even bother to build some 1MM plastic plates to holds your components in places?

I was concerned about this, especially for shipping (and it appears my fears were not unfounded). I need to check and see how others have mounted their board so once I get my replacement, I can secure it in place. The hard drive is not going anywhere with the way it is secured, so that's fine.

DavGerm4
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 18 Sep 2008 07:54 am

Well I just went to RadioShack the other day, and they had what are called Standoffs! I just put those beneath where you screw the motherboard to the case, and screwed them to the standoffs. My motherboard is snug in the case now, but I'm running into a few problems. I think I'm getting a short somewhere, because the System doesn't function correctly when I try it out. If the motherboard is out of the case, and I test it, it then works fine! Gotta look to see what's causing that!

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 20 Sep 2008 09:41 pm

Did you put the little fabric washers between the screws that you used to mount the motherboard? Sometimes that does it.

DavGerm4
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 20 Sep 2008 09:53 pm

You know I have not done that. I just bought some standoffs at Radio Shack, so they didn't come with any. But the motherboard was doing this, before I put the standoffs on it. I'm going to put something under the motherboard, before I put it in the case to see if that changes anything. Because one side of the Motherboard has standoffs, and the other side is resting on top of the power/reset buttons. I think it's coming from that area.

mrjelloman
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 21 Sep 2008 04:43 pm

Basically you want to make sure the motherboard is not coming into contact with anything metal. Something is causing the short, so double-check your motherboard placement and make sure it is not touching something. By past experience, I usually found that it was the mounting screws that caused the short, but sometimes it could be exposed wiring, if something got pinched.

Good luck!

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 13 May 2009 10:37 pm
Site Admin

carlaxx wrote:
What field in the video game industry requires no programming, is not complex, and has rewarding pay?
I'm hoping to get into the video game industry and right now i'm stuck between choosing whether to became a level designer or character animator but my main problem is that i have no artistic skills...what career path should i take that would allow me to continue to work with computers without having to learn programming or needing advanced artistic skills?

If programming isn't your thing at all, and you aren't very artistic, you could learn some networking skills and work in the network department.
However, I would suggest learning programming, especially if you aren't very artistic and are still young when you can absorb a lot of information and new programming languages. nobody is going to hire you if you don't have any skills at all. The best you could hope for otherwise is maybe being a game tester. Other than that, you absolutely need to have some skills in order to create and not just play video games. ( you could also clean the floors at the game studio too.)

coreybedford
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 21 May 2009 11:42 pm

Hey cbutters

This mod is excellent.. I'm working on my own version of this.. more of a 95% stealth instead of 100% but still not a Frankenstein machine exactly. I had a question if it's cool?

I bought a kit at retrozone planning on turning my original controller ports to be used by USB inside the case as you did. But instead of buying the USB to NES port that you did.. I bought the kit in which you trade out your NES controllers cord and replace it with a USB cord.. since it's the same board in both kits and the board in this version comes uncovered and pre-soldered to the USB cord...my thinking was this would require less effort to crack the case open and risk damaging the board inside (kinda clumsy with small things and sharp tools) but the wired diagrams for soldering only point out 5 wires instead of the 7 that are inside the console case.(which I didn't know at the time that the NES controller uses two less than the NES ports do)

Can you help me out with where to solder the two extra wires to the retrozone chip? (blue and purple)

Thanks

Attachments:
File comment: FROM RETROZONE SITE

neskit.jpg [ 24.53 KiB | Viewed 1849 times ]

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 22 May 2009 09:24 pm
Site Admin

coreybedford wrote:
Hey cbutters

This mod is excellent.. I'm working on my own version of this.. more of a 95% stealth instead of 100% but still not a Frankenstein machine exactly. I had a question if it's cool?

I bought a kit at retrozone planning on turning my original controller ports to be used by USB inside the case as you did. But instead of buying the USB to NES port that you did.. I bought the kit in which you trade out your NES controllers cord and replace it with a USB cord.. since it's the same board in both kits and the board in this version comes uncovered and pre-soldered to the USB cord...my thinking was this would require less effort to crack the case open and risk damaging the board inside (kinda clumsy with small things and sharp tools) but the wired diagrams for soldering only point out 5 wires instead of the 7 that are inside the console case.(which I didn't know at the time that the NES controller uses two less than the NES ports do)

Can you help me out with where to solder the two extra wires to the retrozone chip? (blue and purple)

Thanks

Hmm, I have since sold my NES project, but I may have some pictures that show where I soldered those..... Let me look around, I will post something If I can find the answer.

coreybedford
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 23 May 2009 12:30 am

Hey that would be great if you do have some pics of that.. if not I appreciate the effort anyway

Thanks alot

coreybedford
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 21 May 2009 11:42 pm

Hey cbutters

Thanks

Attachments:
File comment: FROM RETROZONE SITE

neskit.jpg [ 24.53 KiB | Viewed 1849 times ]

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 22 May 2009 09:24 pm
Site Admin

coreybedford wrote:
Hey cbutters

Thanks

Hmm, I have since sold my NES project, but I may have some pictures that show where I soldered those..... Let me look around, I will post something If I can find the answer.

coreybedford
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 23 May 2009 12:30 am

Hey that would be great if you do have some pics of that.. if not I appreciate the effort anyway

Thanks alot

Dennis
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 27 May 2009 10:48 am

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.

miklebanks
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 29 May 2009 03:34 pm

I know I suck at this stuff so I was wondering if anyone would build me one?
How much do they go for?

miklebanks@gmail.com

let me know if anyone is interested

Hailey
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 16 Jun 2009 10:13 am

I have interest i will buy i live california

Muradom
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 25 Jun 2009 12:13 am

Hey, im very impressed by your stealth nespc! GJ
I'm getting itrested in building 1 of these myself. But i was wondering the same thing as coreybedford on page 3, about soldering the usb cord to original nes ports. Can you try posting a pic or explain somehow how did you do it and where did you get the info on how to do it? Thanks, take care.

Rocco33
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 22 Jul 2009 05:55 pm

Hey Guys... yet another noob here hoping to get some help! As I am having trouble finding the Intel D201GLY2A with S Video (can only find without S Video) does anyone see any obvious reason(s) why the http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D945GCLF2 ... gory=1178l] would not work?

Or... is there some place to get the D201GLY2A with S Video? I don't see it on mini-box...again only the one without.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 23 Jul 2009 01:19 pm
Site Admin

Rocco33 wrote:
Hey Guys... yet another noob here hoping to get some help! As I am having trouble finding the Intel D201GLY2A with S Video (can only find without S Video) does anyone see any obvious reason(s) why the http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D945GCLF2 ... gory=1178l] would not work?

Or... is there some place to get the D201GLY2A with S Video? I don't see it on mini-box...again only the one without.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

Hey man, I would recommend this board these days:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813121359
It has S-video!

Baldr1980
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 13 Aug 2009 12:51 pm

Hey cbutters
Can you tell me about undervolting D201GLY2? Standart intel BIOS isn't support this feature. I cant find any other bios.

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 06 Sep 2009 01:33 am
Site Admin

Baldr1980 wrote:
Hey cbutters
Can you tell me about undervolting D201GLY2? Standart intel BIOS isn't support this feature. I cant find any other bios.

Sure can, I wrote an entire article on underclocking the D201GLY2!
link here: http://www.exoid.com/?p=1161

zercath
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 15 Oct 2009 03:35 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!, youre awsome , very nice and interesting , thanks for posting this idea I have converted the relevant code to fixed-point but I had to rewrite large sections to be optimised enough to run on the NES's 16MHz CPU, but nothing great has come up.I would also like to recommend Generic ban me please for anyone like myself with intimacy problems.

ERK
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 07 Dec 2009 04:39 am

I know this project is pretty old now, but I was wondering if you could explain a little bit how you wired the composite for the audio.

From the pictures it looks as though you have a wire plugged into your speaker/headphone jack and the other end soldered on the controller board in between the two output audio components. That will work for both your left and right audio outputs?
Also, did you need any kind of speaker to composite adapter, or is it just a cord from a speaker or something?

Edit:
Also, would the Channel 3/4 switch come into play at all without precaution?

GruntUltra
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 22 Jan 2010 04:28 pm

Check it out kids - I finished it earlier this month:

Attachments:
File comment: Playing Half-Life 2 on the NES-PC. It's beside the Wii in the lower left corner of the entertainment center.

NES HL2.JPG [ 45.26 KiB | Viewed 1519 times ]
File comment: The insides of my NES-PC. It's gone through about 12 changes since this is my first real mod. Nothing beats experience or ingenuity!
Specs: Jetway NC92-330LF, 2GB PC 5300, 80GB SATA II HD, 802.11G wireless, BlueTooth KB & mouse, aftermarket copper heatsinks w/40mm fans (and custom aluminum blue southbridge heatsink). 2 50 mm case fans running @ 25%.

NES guts.jpg [ 97.96 KiB | Viewed 1519 times ]
File comment: The front of the NES-PC. Of course the red LED works, along with the power and reset buttons. Inside the cart bay is SMBros/Duck Hunt that houses front panel audio and two extra USB ports. The NES controller ports are wired (via RetroPorts) to a header on the mobo. I have a lengthy write-up on the whole build, but when I wrote it I was really downing the Stealth mod sold here (because of the issues incurred in shipping). So in building mine I chose not to make a stealth version, and to secure all of the components inside the case to keep this from happening to mine. That being said - seeing this build here was my inspiration to build mine!

NES front.jpg [ 62.16 KiB | Viewed 1520 times ]

cbutters
Post subject: Re: NES Retro Gaming Computer - Stealth EditionPosted: 19 Feb 2010 11:46 pm
Site Admin

ERK wrote:
I know this project is pretty old now, but I was wondering if you could explain a little bit how you wired the composite for the audio.

From the pictures it looks as though you have a wire plugged into your speaker/headphone jack and the other end soldered on the controller board in between the two output audio components. That will work for both your left and right audio outputs?
Also, did you need any kind of speaker to composite adapter, or is it just a cord from a speaker or something?

Edit:
Also, would the Channel 3/4 switch come into play at all without precaution?

Yes I have a cut open a standard stereo earbud cable, then grounded it to the frame, and connected the output to the center pin on the red and yellow composite connectors, and the s-video to composite is going out the white composite connector on the rear. (I know it doesn't necessarily match up with the labels on the box, but you know... it works.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]